Thursday, October 28, 2010

Riga's Lions

Vrmanes Garden (Latvian: ) is the oldest public garden in the city of Riga, Latvia and currently comprises an area of approximately 5 hectares . The current name is a Latvian transliteration of the gardens original German name. Vrmanes Garden was originally created as Wöhrmann Park in 1814 on behalf of the Governor General of Governorate of Livonia Philip Paulucci , just a couple of years after the outskirts of Riga was burned down during the French invasion of Russia prior to the Siege of Riga . Financing and land for the park was sponsored by the Prussian Consul General to Riga Johann Christoph Wöhrmann (1784-1843) and his mother Anna Gertrud Wöhrmann (née Abels, 1750-1827). The Anna Wöhrmann Memorial depicted on a vintage picture postcardWöhrmann Park was inaugurated with festivities on 8 June 1817 as a fenced 0.8 hectares park with exotic trees, a rose garden and restaurant. A granite obelisk was erected 1829 in the park as a posthumous memorial to Anna Wöhrmann. The memorial was dismantled prior to World War II and recreated 2000 . 1836 the Riga Chemist and Pharmacist Society initiated a mineral water shop in the park restaurant. When the premises became to narrow, reconstructions were conducted according to a project by architect Heinrich Scheel in the years from 1863 to 1864 and 1870 to 1871. 1869 the park had a sundial and fountain installed. Picture postcard dated 1911 showing view of daily life in the garden 1881, the director of the Riga City Gardens and Parks Georg Kuphaldt expanded the park territory considerably

В Верманском парке после реставрации открыли скульптуры львов.
Анна Гертруда Верман (1750-1827) вложила большие средства, чтобы создать парк, который в настоящее время носит ее имя. Открытие парка состоялось в 1817 году. В 1829 году сын Верман, генконсул Пруссии И.К. Германис, в честь матери установил в парке небольшой обелиск. В 1884 году около обелиска были установлены каменные львы скульптора Августа Фольца, а рядом были посажены цветы.
В 1954 году обелиск был снесен, а львы перенесены в другое место. Ансамбль был восстановлен лишь в 2000 году.
(read more...)

No comments:

Post a Comment